· AngloGold has sold its last remaining assets in South Africa. The company has its roots in Anglo American, which was started as a gold mining company by Ernest Oppenheimer in 1917. Other large multinational companies are exiting the country due to load shedding and regulatory uncertainty. For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
· Anglo American plc ("Anglo American") announces the completion of the demerger of its thermal coal operations in South Africa. Thungela Resources Limited ("Thungela") will start trading today through a primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange under the abbreviated name "Thungela" (Alpha code "TGA"), and a standard listing on the London Stock Exchange (ticker symbol ...
· By 2004, the coal and lignite industry of South Africa offered more than 50,000 jobs, generating over R40 billion. About 85% of the coal production in South Africa is possible because of the top five coal mining concerns the nation has. These include South32''s South Africa Energy Coal, Mining, Anglo American PLC, Exxaro and Glencore ...
· Anglo''s Chief Executive Officer Mark Cutifani said it was a "responsible transition" from thermal coal, but July Ndlovu, the head of spinoff Thungela Resources, has a different perspective. Ndlovu wants South Africa''s biggest coal exporter, which began trading in Johannesburg and London on Monday, to develop new resources and buy rivals.
The company is also mulling the addition of 220 MW of solar capacity for a proposed hydrogen-powered haul-truck project. Implats is weighing options to use solar power at all its mines in South Africa and Zimbabwe, said Johan Theron, a spokesman for Implats.
AngloGold Ashanti, with its head office in South Africa, is an independent, global gold mining company with a diverse, high-quality portfolio of operations, projects and exploration activities across nine countries on four continents. While gold is our principal product, we also produce silver (Argentina) and sulphuric acid (Brazil) as byproducts.
· It is not the only one. BHP this year signalled its intention to exit the thermal coal business. And Rio Tinto last year divested from large coal assets. Glencore has succumbed to investor pressure and agreed to cap its current coal production. Locally, Anglo American concluded the sale of all its Eskom-tied coal mines to Seriti in 2018.
Anglo American Coal division owns and operates seven coal mines in South Africa. These include the lucrative Goedehoop, Greenside, Kleinkopje, Landau, New Denmark, Isibonelo and New Vaal mines that contribute a combined 3.8 billion dollars to the Group''s annual revenue.
Anglo American New Vaal Colliery Jobs and Careers may also be availed by the successful candidates with experience certificates from the Anglo American, South Africa. Hence you should submit your learnership application at the concerned department before the closing date of the Anglo American Thermal Coal Learnership Programme.
· Sibanye Stillwater Ltd., the No. 1 platinum miner, Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd. and Anglo American Platinum Ltd. said they plan to scale up solar and wind farms for their own use to cut reliance on state-owned utility Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd., some of whose aging coal-fired plants have failed to keep up with electricity demand.
· Ndlovu wants South Africa''s biggest coal exporter, which began trading in Johannesburg and London on Monday, to develop new resources and buy rivals. "I didn''t take up this role to close these mines, to close this business," Ndlovu said in a June 8 interview at Thungela''s new offices in Johannesburg''s Rosebank business district.
its investments outside South Africa - in "Rhodesia" (ie. in both Zambia and Zimbabwe) and in Namibia particularly. During and after the second world war, the mining houses, in cluding Anglo American, invested heavily in the new Far West Rand and Orange Free State gold fields. As these new mines
· Platinum miners eye solar power as a green answer to load shedding. July 24, 2021. July 24, 2021. Frank. SOUTH AFRICA – The world''s biggest platinum miners are ramping up plans to build renewable energy plants to free them from power outages that have plagued South Africa for more than a decade and to reduce their carbon footprint.
· Anglo American highlighted the additional sustainability benefits of . A 4% reduction in water consumption was achieved at Los Bronces grinding mills, and 4-12% energy reductions from APCs controlling SAG mills. It also reported an 80% reduction in plant micro-stoppages from plant-wide optimisers in South Africa and Brazil.
Thungela Resources Limited holds 90% of the thermal coal operations in South Africa with the remaining 10% held collectively by an employee partnership plan and a community partnership plan. Anglo American plc announces the completion of the demerger of its thermal coal operations in South Africa.
· The demerger of Anglo American''s South African thermal coal assets will be completed on 7 June. The new company, Thungela, will trade on the stock market in Johannesburg and London. The move is part of the company''s aim of achieving carbon neutrality by 2040, which would be 10 years earlier than other miners such as BHP, Rio Tinto and Vale.
Coal South Africa wholly owns and operates seven mines – Goedehoop, Greenside, Kleinkopje, Landau, New Denmark, Isibonelo and New Vaal and has a 73% shareholding in Anglo American Inyosi Coal (AAIC), the broad-based black economic empowerment company we created in June 2010.
The company is also mulling the addition of 220 MW of solar capacity for a proposed hydrogen-powered haul-truck project. And, Implats is looking at options to use solar power at all its mines in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Overall, the scope of recently announced green initiatives covers almost all phases of mining. For example:
· Anglo American has agreed to demerge its thermal coal operations in South Africa to a new holding company called Thungela Resources Limited. The separation deal, which is subject to the approval of Anglo American''s shareholders on May 5, 2021, will be implemented through the transfer of Anglo''s South Africa thermal coal operations to Thungela, the demerger of the Thungela shares to Anglo ...